rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Cover Stories: The Secret Keeper by Mitali Perkins

Secret_Keeper_Mitali_Perkins.jpgAmazing readergirl Mitali Perkins shared her latest Cover Story for Secret Keeper, on my blog, and it was too good not to share with readergirlz! Here's Mitali:

"When it comes to art, I'm in the appreciator rather than the creator category. My publisher asked me for input, and I told her that there were a glut of covers set in India with girls peeking over veils or around sarees. I didn't want something that felt too 'ethnic.'

"When I saw this cover, I LOVED IT! I was so happy. I think it's a stock photo. Because I 100% loved it, I had no suggestions. I hope the art department enjoyed the rave email I sent to my editor.

"I am VERY pleased with this cover; I think it captures the feel of the story perfectly."

And sometimes, people, it's just that easy. Love at first cover. I think the cover model's downcast eyes (gorgeous lashes, btw!) are perfect for Mitali's story about a girl who keeps her heart in secret diaries. The colors and patterns are just indicative enough of its Indian setting.

What do you guys think?

Watch the book trailer here:

8 comments:

Iryna said...

I think it's a nice cover just a little too bright for my tastes.

I loved the music in the book trailer, however!

Reverie said...

looks good....
love trailers

Reyna Meinhardt said...

I like the cover, it looks like a really neat book!

Briana said...

I do like the cover, it's pretty nice. The book looks interesting as well! Probably another one I'll add to my list of books to get.

holly cupala said...

Beautiful book, beautiful cover! Secret Keeper is a terrific read.

Molz614 said...

I know that you aren't supposed to techinally judge a book on it's cover, but i sometimes (usually...) do...I think the cover is very intriguing and I would totally pick that up if I saw it at a bookstore, the girls' expression on the cover is all I would need to at least read the jacket to see if I would read it, and looking from the trailer I would...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.