rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Rgz Salon: The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson, Reviewed by Rene' Kirkpatrick



René Kirkpatrick has been a bookseller and book buyer, specializing in children's and teen literature, for many years. She has a degree in elementary education and reads widely across all genres. She is currently a buyer at Third Place Books.

We're honored to have her here as part of the rgz SALON, a feature where four of the top kidlit experts clue us in to the best YA novels they've read recently. Here's René, reviewing The Sky is Everywhere, by Jandy Nelson. Ages 14 and up. (Dial Books. Hardcover, 2010).

"When Lennie’s older sister, Bailey, dies suddenly, Lennie is completely at sea. One morning her sister goes to school but doesn’t come home and there’s no chance to say goodbye. As Lennie tries to deal with this, she meets a new boy and really likes him and also begins a relationship with her sister’s boyfriend. What is she doing? How can she do this to her sister? People are complicated and The Sky is Everywhere highlights how quickly things change and knot up. It is very good, very romantic, very sad, realistic. I know how easy it is to make that one choice that twists the future just enough that you can’t see where you are going or where the path is headed.

"It is also funny and I love the characters in the book. Lennie works through her grief by writing down memories of her sister, questions she wanted to ask, poetry about being her sister, and leaving them in unexpected places. What a lovely idea. My favorite thing about the family, though? They road read. Read and walk through their neighborhood.

"PS-I think this would be especially good for a summer book."

Thanks, René! Has anyone else read this one yet?

12 comments:

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

I read this a little while ago, and it was absolutely beautiful! I loved the characters and the message and the writing style... it really left me breathless. It was one of those 'stay up until 2 am because you just HAVE to finish it' type of books.

Lauren said...

I read the book a bit ago too - it was truly beautiful. I loved the characters, and how they all progressed throughout the book. The writing was beautiful, and addictive. Some lines I STILL think of. Really, one of my favorite books I read this year.

Jessica Love said...

This is my favorite book of 2010 so far, and I can't imagine a book that could take its place. So incrediblw.

Jessica Love said...

That should say INCREDIBLE. ;-)

Liz Gallagher said...

I'm in LOVE with this book. Jandy is such a beautiful writer.

Melissa Walker said...

Ack! I can't wait to read this one. WHY have I waited so long??

Martha Brockenbrough said...

Melissa, it's a really good book. I'm looking forward to her next one!

Shelf Elf said...

I adored this book - loved that it managed to be funny and sad.

Little Willow said...

THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE was selected by the postergirlz to be one of the recommended reads for August.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.