rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Cover Stories: This Gorgeous Game by Donna Freitas

This Gorgeous Game Jacket.jpg
This Gorgeous Game by Donna Freitas is a disturbing page-turner with great heart, warmth and depth. You'll be hearing a lot about this book this summer!

Also, it's got a great cover. Here's Donna with more on that:

"Because This Gorgeous Game is both so dark and so personal, at first I was at a complete loss as to what image might represent it -- I almost wouldn't let my mind go there. But when I did, because eventually of course I would, there were two images I kept thinking about. The cover would be of a girl andonly a girl -- even though This Gorgeous Game is about a girl who is stalked, I absolutely, positively did not want any hint of the stalker on the cover, I cannot express that strongly enough.

"The first image idea was of a girl walking down the street looking over her shoulder, almost looking behind her, but also at the reader, and the would seem anxious. The other image idea was a photo of a girl who looks trapped -- which I know is kind of vague. But I'd seen a photo on Getty of a girl who is curled up in a ball and she is literally inside a series of boxes -- a box inside a box inside a box, etc., and inside the smallest box at the center is the girl. It is a very disturbing photo, haunting and unforgettable. I knew it was a bit too much for the actual cover, but the idea was as close to the feeling I was going for as it gets..."

Read the rest of Donna's Cover Story, and see early cover versions, at melissacwalker.com.

3 comments:

Little Willow said...

Gorgeous book, inside and out.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.