rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

June: rgz LIVE! Twitter Chat Recap!











Okay, this is a tad long, but I really only picked highlights! This is for our non-Twitter peeps! Listen in to John, rgz:

I hope to tour again sometime next year, but we'll see.

I'm a very amateur philosopher, but I'm fascinated by the same big ?s that obsessed me as a teen.

I really liked Vonnegut, Toni Morrison, and Salinger.

I think I was inspired by the IDEA of books--using ink on paper to communicate something--more than particular books.

Yeah, I was really deeply engaged in the religion classes I took as a student (but that was in college).

In a very broad sense, my current novel is set on a beach.

I started writing as a kid, but I got serious in high school and more serious in college.

I can't find just one thing I love about nerdfighteria. It's a huge, huge part of my life.

Well, I believe the world is essentially broken, and I guess I think the only true ending is an ambiguous one.

Oh sure, sometimes I feel misread. But my books don't belong to me. They belong to their readers.

I feel happy if I write more than 1,000 words in a day, but sometimes I make more progress deleting 1,000 words.

No, I write alone these days (well, aside from skype friends).

My advice to other writers is to read and read and read and read. And listen to criticism. It hurts but it's right.

I write for my readers. I am inspired by them, and I feel challenged by them.

I am inspired by this infuriatingly broken world we live in. I want to put it back together in my head.

Well I think one of the general challenges in life is being sociable without being untrue to one's self.

I loved the babysitters club when I was growing up. I loved series. I was like Eudora Welty in a sweet devouring.

Hank takes it personally that I've never written a protagonist with a sibling. I haven't stolen much from Hank.

Nerdfighteria has profoundly influenced my writing by showing me how smart and engaged contemporary teens are.

I wrote Alaska because I was obsessed with the problem of theodicy--how evil can exist with an omnipotent god.

Well I think one of the points of literature is to help us understand how to be human in a compromised world...

Although you won't like this answer, I think intense critical analysis of literature is a hugely important skill.

Broadly speaking, I wanted to write because I loved reading and wanted to be on the other side of the page.

I still don't think of writing as a career. I love it, but I don't know that I'll be able to do it in 20 years.

That was fun! AND CRAZY! You guys are the best.

It was a super fun chat. Join us next time if you can!

My website

7 comments:

JenFW said...

Hey, I was there, and I managed to miss a bunch of these! Thanks for the wrap, Lorie Ann.

My personal favorite: "Oh sure, sometimes I feel misread. But my books don't belong to me. They belong to their readers."

Melissa Walker said...

Awesome recap!

holly cupala said...

That was a very fun, fast-paced chat - great answers from John.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

It really was a great chat with such solid content. Woot!

Erin said...

thank you so much for posting this!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.