rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Cover Stories: Goth Girl Rising by Barry Lyga

GGR final.jpg
The awesome Barry Lyga is here today, sharing the Cover Story for his sequel to The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl, Goth Girl Rising.

Here's Barry!

"For my cover, I had an idea that, in retrospect, is one of those things that sounds cool, but wouldn't work. My idea was to co-opt the cover to the first book, but reverse it: Red lips on a black background for the hardcover, then blue lips on a black background for the paperback. It totally makes sense from a story point of view, but now I think it's too cutesy.

[Here are the first book's covers, hardcover (left) and paperback:]

fanboy.jpg
fanboypaperback.jpg


"Speaking of that first book: I had some strong ideas for that one, to the point where I even had a friend of mine mock one up. Houghton politely declined it and commissioned Jon Gray to produce the kick-ass cover we ended up with (way above). I have never in my life been so happy to be proven wrong!

"Houghton has always consulted with me about covers, which I really, really appreciate. Like I said, they weren't too keen on my original idea (which I don't blame them for). So they sent me three or four different cover designs, all based on the same general aesthetic. I wasn't thrilled with any of them. There was nothing WRONG with them; they just didn't seem like the cover to my book, you know?"

Read the rest of Barry's Cover Story at melissacwalker.com. And check out his Rgz shoutout here:



6 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lorie Ann Grover said...

Go, Barry!

Unknown said...

They are really great .
Some new style Puma Cat shoes is

in fashion this year.
The Nike Air Shoes is a best Air Shoes .
Red Shox is good and Cheap Nike Shoes.
If you are a fans of Puma basket,we

would offer the good and Cheap Puma

Shoes
for you .the nike shox

torch
is best christmas gift now.
Running Shoes
Nike Shox R4
Nike Air Force Ones
Speed Cat
JORDAN 2010

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.