rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Thursday, May 21, 2009

May: Older female inspirations









Sophie is blessed to know and love Dika, an older woman with a zest for living and complete acceptance of her body. Dika has lived through immense trials, but she has a joy for the day she's been given.

Do you have anyone in your life like Dika? Psst: what does she look like?


10 comments:

Erin said...

Well y'all aren't "old", but the rgz divas are definitely my mentors/inspirations. :)

Silence is Golden, But Ducktape is Silver said...

Ditto. I don't know, I don't think I have just one person that inspires me, its many...

Laura Resau said...

As Sarah pointed out in the chat last night, my books do tend to include strong older women characters who have often been through rough times, but have transformed their life's tragedies into kindness and wisdom of some sort.

Several of my closest friends in Oaxaca, Mexico were older indigenous women (Mixtec and Mazatec) who have been supports and role models to me during the tough times in my own life. These women aren't traditionally "beautiful", but their ability to find joy in life despite some sad situations gives them a certain radiance.

Little Willow said...

My mother and my sister raised me, and they raised me well. I am forever grateful.

Shelf Elf said...

When I was working at this great children's bookstore in Toronto, one of the best parts of the job was being inspired by the 3 owners, all amazing, generous, wise and beautiful women. They'd cringe if they knew I was classifying them as "older" because they're not old. They're older than I am... therefore, older.

We'd have cups of tea and talk about books and what matters in the world. I was always thinking that I want to be just like them when I am their age.

Silence is Golden, But Ducktape is Silver said...

When you say that Shelf Elf, it kinda reminds me of my 12th grade English teacher. She gave me my love for digesting books, not just reading them but scratching much farther than just the surface.

She showed me the whole world.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

I think of my great grandmother. She was short, round and FULL of laughter. I hope I carry her spirit.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.