rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Monday, May 25, 2009

Family: Beth Kephart

Every meaningful relationship is born of, and returns to, trust. Family, for me, is composed of the people whom I trust. So that my husband, son, father, and siblings are there in my heart home, absolutely. But so are those with whom I dance two times a week - the teachers with whom I feel free to make mistakes, the other dancers who yearn as much as I do. Sometimes I don't even know what we are all yearning toward - I can't name it or define it. But I look around and I understand that we are all in that same wanting place, and that we trust each other, and that the conversations we are having, the lives we are living, will be tangled up together for a long time. That we are, in other words, family.

- Beth Kephart

Follow the series of family posts.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heartfelt and understood.

holly cupala said...

I love this. Thank you, Beth.

Melissa Walker said...

I love that family is a dance we do with others. Dance works so well as a metaphor for so many things. It must teach you a lot, Beth.

Silence is Golden, But Ducktape is Silver said...

It reminds me, since we talk of family... that since I've been hanging out with my aunt and the rest of that side of the family--that I don't understand the concept of family. Its completely foreign to me and I don't trust it. I watch and wait for it to all disappear, sounds depressing, yes, but its true.

And I know what we're all yearning for. That's what we are yearning for, that connection that knowing that we are not alone.

;}

Justina Chen said...

Heart home. Love this. Thank you, Beth!

Little Willow said...

Brava, Beth.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.