rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Monday, May 25, 2009

May: Looking Past Assumptions

One theme in The Little Prince quotes in Red Glass is that what's essential is invisible. Can you think of a time in your life when you had to look past surface appearances to find what was most important? Have you ever made an assumption about a person, and then, after you've gotten to know him or her, had a different impression?





13 comments:

Erin said...

Oh yes. I think there's always more to people than meets the eye.

Little Willow said...

People can surprise you, for better or for worse.

holly cupala said...

Well said, Miss Erin and Little Willow! I agree.

Amy said...

I agree wholeheartedly.
-amy

Shelf Elf said...

I have (at least once) judged a person after knowing only the smallest bit about them, only to realize later than my first impression was far from the whole picture. I've tried to learn from that and stay more open as I get to know people.

Melissa Walker said...

I try so hard not to do this! It's tough. It's biologically programmed in us to make split-second assessments about people, but getting to know them is much more rewarding.

Silence is Golden, But Ducktape is Silver said...

Lots and lots of layers!

Lorie Ann Grover said...

I remember seeing Justina for the first time and thought, "She's completely fulfilled and has no room for another friend." A few years later I found out she did have room! Yay!

Vivian Mahoney said...

I think it's easy to come up with an assumption on what a person is like based on their appearance, deameanor, mood, etc. The true challenge is opening up our minds so we can truly see a person for what he/she is. Case in point...Susan Boyle. What a victory!

Laura Resau said...

I agree with everyone-- it's a challenge to put your judgment on hold and take the time to get to know the many layers of a person.

This is something I've experienced in my own life, especially in high school (being at times the assumer and at times the "assumee"!)

I tried to explore this in Sophie's and Angel's relationship-- they ultimately got past their preconceived notions about each other and succeeded in really seeing each other and deepening their relationship.

I also wanted to explore how Sophie's perceptions of her companions change during the trip-- Mr. Lorenzo, Dika, Pablo, and the people she encounters, like Rodrigo's aunt Marta (who offers Sophie a place to stay across the border in Guatemala.)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.