rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Friday, May 22, 2009

Family: Holly Cupala

I have always thought of family as reaching beyond genetics and including friends. Several years ago, I realized family was even more. My husband and I lost our first daughter at birth, and I have never seen such an outpouring from our families, friends, colleagues, writing community, neighbors, and complete strangers. They called and visited. They sent cards. Meals. Flowers. Books. Every expression of kindness imaginable, to let us know we were not alone. When I think of that time, I think as much of the love as I do of the sadness. Now I know: a family is defined by love.

- Holly Cupala

Follow the series of family posts.

7 comments:

Winter Hansen said...

Holly, you've said it so clearly and succinctly. It's the people that are brave enough to wade through the awkwardness of difficult times in order to show their support that makes them gold in my book. True family earns that badge of honor.

Beth Kephart said...

Gosh, Holly. I did not know that you had lived through that. I am so very very very glad that so many reached toward you, that so much love was there.

Melissa Walker said...

I didn't know that either, Holly. I'm so glad family love rose up to meet you. You get what you give, and you are truly a giver so I have no doubt you're surrounded by love.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Sending you a hug, Holly. And one for your sweet daughter.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.