rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Monday, May 4, 2009

Family Ties

Last month, I published a series of posts about hope - what it meant to different people, and what made them hopeful.

Now, throughout May, we'll be discussing Family, this month's theme at readergirlz. I'll ask various authors and friends:

What does "family" mean to you?
Who do you consider to be the members of your family?


I will be posting their answers at both my blog, Bildungsroman, and the readergirlz blog. Stay tuned!

7 comments:

Melissa Walker said...

Perfect for thinking about after a Mom visit weekend!

Marie said...

Great question! When I was younger I thought my friends were more "family" than my "real" family... now as I get older I realize that blood is totally thicker than water!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

For me the idea of family is expanding. "Found Family" is my watch word these days, as many more people than blood relatives have found their way into my heart and life. These found family members sometimes fill traditional family roles for me, The Big Sister, The Compassionate Mom, The Pick Ya Right Up and Hug Ya Dad. And sometimes they switch around as needed.

Sometimes a new family member comes along and stays only a short time, but in the few moments it takes to connect, we form a bridge from one life to another. We each cross over and become that much more than we were before.

Creating family is in our bones, it's what we do.

Amanda Lorenzo

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.