rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Friday, January 29, 2010

January: Is it Better to be Alone Than With Someone Who Doesn't Get You?












In the end, Frankie concludes, "It is better to be alone than to be with someone who can't see who you are." Do you agree with her?


11 comments:

Jodie said...

Yes always. It's a hard line issue for me.

Windy said...

Yes. Completely. Because otherwise, what's the point?

Little Willow said...

In a word:

YES.

Melissa Walker said...

Yes. But, there are different ways of knowing who someone is. My friends know who I am in a different way than my husband does or my mom does. All my ways of being are true. Does that make sense?

Liz Gallagher said...

What Melissa said reminds me of that bit in MY SO-CALLED LIFE, where Angela says something about how weird it is when people who know you in different ways collide. It really is an interesting phenomenon. I think I'm happy being alone until I find the person who gets the me that's me when I'm by myself and when I'm with other people, if that makes any sense.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Yes, Liz.

And I'd have to be alone or I'd lose myself by staying with someone who doesn't get me.

Anonymous said...

Yes, but only if that person is affecting who you are.

Erin said...

I really, really like what Melissa and Liz said here.

Dia Calhoun said...

Yes, with the caveat that you are certain you can't work out your relationship wo you will both "get each other" better.

Shelf Elf said...

100% yes. It's not always easy to be alone, but being with someone who doesn't get you is ultimately draining. You've gotta love yourself, as cheesy as that sounds. You have to enjoy being alone. I admire people who are really good at that and aren't afraid of that.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.