rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cover Stories: Dream Life by Lauren Mechling

dreamlife.jpg
Lauren Mechling (she of the enviably glossy hair) shared her Cover Story for Dream Girl on my blog last year. Now, she's back to dish on the sequel, Dream Life, which is all butterflies, all the time. Whee!

"Dream Life is a sequel to Dream Girl, so I knew it would likely feature a cover in keeping with the visuals of the first book, which always reminds me of Japanese candy. Shortly after I'd started writing it I was given an even more specific idea to store in the back of my mind: my very cool editor Krista Marino showed me a photograph she was hoping to use on the new cover. If memory serves correctly, it showed the same model as the one who plats Claire on the cover of Dream Girl. But instead of sitting and looking lady-like, she was flung across a couch, her head tilted back and her arm falling down to the floor. It was very dramatic and much less lady-like than the first image. It was intense. I liked it..."

Read the rest of Lauren's Cover Story at melissacwalker.com. And share your thoughts in either spot!

5 comments:

brizmus said...

the cover of the first book totally reminds me of Japanese candy as well! Which is oddly why I have sort-of been dying to read it!

Rebecca said...

Interesting cover story. I've always wondered about some of the book covers.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Now, I need to see actual Japanese candy...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.