rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Monday, January 25, 2010

January: Can Frankie Be Loved as an Equal?












Frankie wants Matthew to ". . . admire her cleverness, her ambition, her vision. That he would admit her as his equal, or even as his superior, and love her for what she was capable of." E. asks, "Do you think this is even possible in teen relationships? Is it possible in life?"

PS-E. also wants to know: "What do you think of Frankie's outfit on the paperback cover?"


9 comments:

Chloe said...

I dont think Matthew could love her as an equal. It takes a special kind of person, like Alpha, to be able to do that! As for her outfit, I think it is perfect for her! Its very modest and self respecting, but neutral and not sloppy. Just how I would imagine her to dress :)

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Her outfit is spot on. A bit preppy but not overly controlled.

I do think that kind of love is possible for teens and adults. But it takes some major maturity and self knowledge.

Erin said...

I think that kind of love is definitely possible for teens.

Melissa Walker said...

I think someone could love Frankie as an equal (or superior) but he'd have to be close to her super-high level. That would help, and maybe make her love him back. Also important!

Total honestly on #2: I'm not that into Frankie on the paperback cover. I picture her somehow more sophisticated. But that's just me. Love the hardcover!

Anonymous said...

I had trouble with the polo shirt but then I am OLD. I honestly don't know what teens think looks good as far as clothing goes. Plus I am a New Yorker, which means my perceptions in terms of fashion are very skewed.

First version of the cover she had a light blue shirt, Second version she had a bunch of jewelry.

As for equal relationships: Is hard question. That is why I am hoping you guys will have answers.

Tricia Springstubb said...

Isn't there always going to be some version of a power struggle? Even if it's simply who loves who more?
Frankie would wear something a bit more daring, I'm pretty sure.

Tricia Springstubb said...

Also, doesn't it look a tiny bit like a Nancy Drew cover?

Unknown said...

I think it's possible in teen relationships - I'm sixteen, and my boyfriend started liking me because I was the first girl he ever met who knew more about music than he does.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.