rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Friday, May 21, 2010

May: Helping Someone in a Bad Situation












Lisa says, "On the streets and homeless, Maybe hits rock bottom. Where could she have turned for help? If you knew someone who was in an abusive situation, what would you do?"

6 comments:

MissA said...

Maybe does eventaully turn to someone that I would have recommended she turn to. I suppose she could have also gone to a shelter of some sort, but then again, that wouldn't really fit with Maybe's personality. She's tough and doesn't like to ask for help.

I would try and help the person in the absusive situation as much as I could, in any way that they needed. Whether that meant letting them crash at my place (hopefully my parents would say yes!), helping them get a job, etc. Granted, I would get frustrated if they refused to ask for help and I had to take the initiative, becuase they were too stubborn to admit that every once in awhile they need help :)

Little Willow said...

I would get the full story from the person, offering an ear and a shoulder, and make a report to the authorities, followed by whatever was needed/advised.

Melissa Walker said...

It's so hard to ask for help for someone else, especially if they don't want to ask for it themselves. But I guess by asking you, they ARE asking. I'd turn to a trusted wise person in my life. It's so good to know mentors and people with experience who you trust.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Yes, a shelter for Maybe. I just finished Sorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick. It's a great companion read for Absolutely Maybe. Amber starts out living in a school bus, and she does get help.

Great answer, Miss Attitude!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.