rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Cover Stories: Sea by Heidi R. Kling

sea.jpg
Heidi R. Kling's debut novel, Sea, comes out next month. It's the story of a girl named Sienna (Sea) who travels to Indonesia after the tsunami with her psychiatrist father's relief team. See more about the book in the trailer below.

For now, let's get to the story behind that cover. Here's Heidi:

"I'm one of the lucky ones and my editor did ask my input on the cover for SEA. I suggested an under water image or a young couple riding a motorcycle or motor, as they say in Indonesia. The under water image I came up with was that famous shot of a sea turtle taken from below... I thought that would look cool because so much of the theme in SEA is about being underwater both literally and metaphorically.

"My editor, Stacey, took my suggestions to heart and let the design team know. They liked the underwater concept but wanted something more romantic than the turtle..."

Read Heidi's full Cover Story at melissacwalker.com.

PS-Here's a book trailer Kepler's Books so made for SEA:



3 comments:

MissA said...

I love underwater covers. I love the image of the couple, it's such a sweet pose (although I think it would have been cool to see them on a motor underwater!). Anyway this cover is gorgeous and it's nice to hear that the author was consulted on the cover :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.