rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Cover Stories: Karma Club by Jessica Brody

Jessica Brody runs Free-Book Friday, of which I am (naturally) a fan! Her debut YA novel, The Karma Club, came out this week, and I invited her over for a little cover talk as a stop on her Girlfriends Cyber Circuit tour.

Here's Jessica:

"When I first saw the cover: Oh my God, I fell in love with it...instantly! They actually showed me two different ones and my editor told me beforehand that this one was her favorite of the two and I couldn't have agreed more! I am pretty bad at envisioning covers so I really didn't know what to expect. I just wanted something fun and colorful because I think that represents the book and that's exactly what I got! It's my favorite cover thus far!

"The only suggestion I made was that they separate the "R" and "M" in Karma because when blended together, I was worried it would look too much like The Karina Club. They agreed and it was quickly changed."

Read the rest of Jessica's Cover Story, hear about the Flip Video Cameras she's giving away, and see the trailer (which is very Hollywood) at melissacwalker.com.

PS-Does this cover remind you of any particular readergirl?

6 comments:

JenFW said...

Will it remind me of a certain readergirl? OH, it WILL, a LITTLE. Or a lot!

And that association alone makes me want to read it.

It's beautiful.

Little Willow said...

Thanks for making me grin, JenFW.

Hi to Jessica!

Thanks, Melissa.

Vivian Mahoney said...

As soon as I saw the cover, I thought of LW!

Lorie Ann Grover said...

At first I thought it was LW holding the book! I was so confused. :~)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.