rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Cover Stories: Getting Revenge of Lauren Wood by Eileen Cook

GettingRevenge.jpg
The lovely Eileen Cook is here to share the story of her novel, Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood.

"There is a scene in the book where the main character dresses up a Barbie doll in a cheerleader outfit and then chucks it into a wood chipper. I thought it would be fun to show someone holding a Barbie doll by it's hair and sticking a pin into it- voodoo style.

"I shared my idea, but the art department warned me that Barbie is trademarked so they frown on people sticking pins in her on book covers. The designer did like the concept so she ordered a custom made doll from China and created the cover we ended up with ...

Read the rest of Eileen's Cover Story, and see some funny doll play, at melissacwalker.com.


3 comments:

Shel said...

I like hearing the story behind this cover.

I've been dragging this book around with me from place to place. I keep meaning to start reading it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.