rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Cover Stories: Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves

bleedingviolet.jpg
When I saw the cover for Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves, I knew I'd have to ask her about the back story. That motion, those colors, that tagline: "Crazy never looked so beautiful." Divine. Here's Dia:

"Before I ever got a book contract for BLEEDING VIOLET, I knew that writers had little or no say in what their covers look like... and my experience pretty much proves that to be the norm. But even though I knew I wouldn't be consulted, I thought that I should be prepared just in case. Better to have ideas and not need them, than to need ideas and not have them. I had a list of artists in mind whose work I thought was really dark and cool, like Jonathan Barkat and Saara Salmi, and I had a million cover ideas for BLEEDING VIOLET.

"My ideas for the cover were all creepy, in keeping with the tone of the novel. I imagined stuff like a girl in a violet dress that was dripping blood or even a literal violet in a bloody vase. I also thought of different covers that might illustrate the main character, Hanna's, bipolar state. For instance, a girl with a pretty smile hiding an ax behind her back..."

Read the rest of Dia's Cover Story at melissacwalker.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.