readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Cover Stories: Fat Vampire by Adam Rex

Adam Rex's Fat Vampire cover appealed to me immediately. Plus, the tagline, "A never coming of age story," made me laugh out loud. I had to have Adam stop by to tell its tale. Here's Adam:

"I had a lot of ideas for this book cover. I have a sketchbook filled with them. I'm an illustrator as well as an author, so I'm in the happy position of always assuming I'll have a lot of input regarding the cover image. Even in the case of Fat Vampire, which is my first book which contains no illustrations whatsoever.

"So I have a few thumbnail sketches of the slushie cup option that are very similar to the finished cover. I also experimented with a couple silhouette designs, one of which I illustrated in a finished form that appears on the case, beneath the jacket. I have a couple designs that feature my main character, Doug, with a bat head. I have a couple ideas that would have featured model shoots with teen girls eating red popsicles, which are melting, blood-like, down their necks. In these Doug the vampire is leering from the background. Anyway, I had a lot of ideas, not all of them good..."

See some of Adam's sketches, and read the rest of this Cover Story, at melissacwalker.com.


Heather said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I agree, this cover is striking. I pick it up every time I'm in the store (even though I already own it) and the tagline is excellent.

Liz Gallagher said...

Thanks for the reminder that Fat Vampire it out there! Gotta pick that up. What a fabulous cover, too.

Micol Ostow said...

Such a great cover. I have to check that book out.

Cara Mengobati Kencing Nanah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Setia Adi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.