rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Saturday, October 17, 2009

October: Libba Bray on Girls & Anger in YA



Last week, I got to go see a bunch of amazing authors read. The lineup included (l to r in that crazy photo above):

Melissa Kantor (The Invisible I, Amanda Project Book 1), Natalie Standiford (How to Say Goodbye in Robot), featured author-of-the-month Libba Bray (Going Bovine), Courtney Scheinmel (Positively) , Sarah Beth Durst (Ice), Jeff Rivera (Forever My Lady) and Shani Petroff (Bedeviled: Daddy's Little Angel). David Levithan hosted.

Awesome lineup, no? It all took place at the Jefferson Market branch of the New York Public Library, where Marie (aka Cupcake Witch) is the book queen. Here's me with Marie and lovely Alley of Books blogger Mitali:



Anyway, at one point Libba was speaking brilliance, and I had to take my little camera and catch this moment where she talked about the emotional range of girl characters in YA literature (forgive the quality of the video, but the quality of the statement was so worth it).




11 comments:

Michelle Zink said...

I ADORE Libba. As a writer and a human being.

ADORE her!

What a great, great clip. And such an interesting observation...

Thanks for posting!

Little Willow said...

Thanks for taking & sharing this video, Melissa. Go Libba.

EVERYONE: Pick up SOME GIRLS ARE by Courtney Summers when it's released in January 2010. It's an unflinching look at high school, with the characters (students) speaking plainly and acting in the heat of the moment, both vocally and physically, when upsetting things happen.

What a great lineup! I've read and enjoyed titles by almost every author here, and now want to seek out titles by those I've yet to read. :)

Steph Su said...

Oh man! How come I didn't know about this event until it was too late? I would've totally gone. *sigh* Oh well. It looks and sounds like a lot of fun, and the topics were interesting too!

Marie said...

oh no. a picture of meeee!

hahah ;)

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Fantastic! THANK YOU, MELISSA!

My editor noted that my character in Hold Me Tight is very ANGRY. Ha! I didn't notice she was/that I was. Yep. It comes through.

Speak freely writers!!!

Erin said...

Yay Libba!

Kate said...

Great talk by Libba!

Thanks for sharing your great day out =D

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Cupcake Witch and young Mitali!!!!!

Dia Calhoun said...

Yay for Libba!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.