rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Rgz Street Team: Vanessa Reviews Far From You by Lisa Schroeder

The rgz Street Team is a group of teens who bring YA reviews to our blog, led by Postergirl Miss Erin. Find out more.

Today, Vanessa reviews Far From You by Lisa Schroeder:

At first I was worried that Alice's tale would
be just another teen angst story, but written in captivating verse, Lisa Schroeder's words caught my attention right away. Alice, a normal girl with normal problems, felt amazingly real to me. Dealing with her father starting a new marriage after her mother's death, we saw Alice in her happy moments and sad moments. I was impressed that we even saw her traveling through the very same daydreams I have as she deals with her friend's surprising betrayal.

Any reader will be able to relate to Alice's universal feelings--of loneliness, and eventually hope, as well as a big capacity for bravery--once Alice's harrowing adventure through a blizzard takes shape. At the end of the book I couldn't help but wish for the opportunity to brush up next to some of the dangerous situations Alice had experienced, just so I could say I've done it! I highly recommend Far From You to anyone looking for a quick and exciting read.

9 comments:

Melissa Walker said...

Great review, Vanessa! I love that Alice inspired you to seek adventure!

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Thank you, Vanessa! I can't wait to read it, for certain.

Reyna Meinhardt said...

Thanks for the review! It looks like a wonderful book! The cover is very pretty to!

Paradox said...

I read Far From You and enjoyed it. It was one of those books where I really felt for the main character. It was more about feelings than a detailed plot, but those feelings were strong!

Little Willow said...

I am looking forward to this book because it's Lisa's AND it has Alice in Wonderland references. Double yay.

holly cupala said...

This looks like such a good book. Thank you, Vanessa, for letting us know your thoughts!

Llehn said...

The book is now on my library list! Thanks!

Lesley

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.