rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Lorie Ann's TLA Top Ten (and a few more)

Justina asked me to share my top 10 moments from TLA. I found I had a photo for most!

1. Getting to travel with Justina and Dia. Although we missed Holly Cupala and Melissa Walker dearly!


2. Packing up the gifties for publishers who are supporting TBD '09!


3. Finding Jodie Cohen on the floor. She's now at Listening Library. We formerly worked together at Simon and Schuster. Note: she's wearing heels!


4. Meeting the legend Sharyn November who probably has her eyes closed here because she can't believe the ruckus the co-founders of rgz are making over her.


5. My massive fan girl moment over Gary Schmidt where I kept mentioning the breeze, the breeze in Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy. Oh, my.


6. Happening upon Joan Bauer and putting two and two together to remember we first met at SCBWI National where we listened to Karen Hesse speak. I lurve Joan's work!


7. Our presentation to over 200 fantastic Texas librarians!


8. Our signings where S&S provided Hug Hug! and On Pointe for conference attendees.


9. Coming upon Justina's shrine of stars!

10. And then meeting Meg Cabot after working together multiple times with rgz!


There were so many highlights, really:

Authors: Sara Zarr, Ally Carter, Jennifer Zeigler, Justine Larbalestier, Walter Dean Myers, Margo Rabb, John Green, Scott Westerfeld, two Brown Bookshelf co-founders, and Cynthia Leitich Smith (and more, more, more!)

Publishers: the Little, Brown staff--Victoria Stapleton (Who I just love. She brought a chair into the Publishers' Reception. So appreciated. And her humor just cracks me up!) Kate Sullivan who helped carry my bags. How sweet is that? Laura Antonacci from S&S and her full team.

Librarians: our power lunch with Lorienne Roy and a midnight meeting with Beth Yoke. Susi Grissom and Joanna Nigrelli, our Texas hosts. An entire conference full of passionate, generous librarians. Just wonderful!

Here's to a great conference, and the rumor of TLA '10. I hope, I hope, I hope!



And sweet thanks to the librarian who asked me if my hair color was natural and another who gave me the "Best Shoe Award" for the entire conference. *wink*

12 comments:

Shelly B said...

I have loved reading these posts and seeing your pics from TLA. I am just a tad jealous though because you girlz were right here in my backyard and I couldn't figure out how to sneak in and see you!

Melissa Walker said...

You guys look gorgeous! I so wish I could have been there!

Erika Powell said...

it looks like you had so much fun. thanks for sharing the pictures!

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Oh, Shelburns! So close. Next time?

My that was a chubby post. :~)

Thanks, Erika and Melissa!

Little Willow said...

Which shoes? Your cool white plastic boots? (Are they plastic?)

Justina Chen said...

The best, very best part, of TLA was hanging with the divas. We really missed Holly and Melissa, and were singing their praises every second we could.

holly cupala said...

Missed you, too! The pics and memorable moments are terrific, though! Thank you for sharing them.

Reyna Meinhardt said...

Wow, looks like you had a blast! I wish I could have gone! And..you saw Meg Cabot! **Gasp** Lucky!

Janssen said...

Oh, how I wish I could have come to your panel. Why were ALL the good sessions at the same time on Thursday? It killed me!

cricket said...

Come back to Texas! :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.