rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Sunday, April 26, 2009

April: Have you been to a survival camp?

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins

Tony, Vanessa, and Conner go through an intense survival camp together. They each find power and strength to do what they think is right through this experience. Have you ever gone away and participated in a similar extreme challenge?


9 comments:

Iryna said...

Living with my brother is definitely a challenge!

Little Willow said...

I have not.

Melissa Walker said...

I've done bonding trips in the wilderness, like a ropes course with my high school yearbook staff (ha!) but never as intense as what they did in IMPULSE.

JenFW said...

Let's see...does ten years of 6- to 8-month stints of living in the Alaska Bush with my husband and no electricity or running water or roads or other people count?

How about a three month Outward Bound trip of winter mountaineering, hiking, rafting, and rock climbing?

Let me know when the rgz are ready to visit Alaska. Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Marie said...

when i was a teenager i did something like this but it wasn't really a positive experience... haha!

Ellen Hopkins said...

I actually did a ropes course in Alaska, up in the VERY tall treetops. After the first step of the first platform, it wasn't so hard, but that first one was really scary. I also went sea kayaking up there. That was amazing.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

I never have! I've always thought it would be hard and wonderful.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.