rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Hi from Melissa!

Hi, readergirlz!

I'm really excited to be joining the ranks of the amazing Lorie Ann, Dia, Justina, Mitali and Holly as an official readergirl. You can read about me and my books here if you scroll down to the bottom, but basically, here's the deal. I love: mix tapes, iced coffee, drinking with straws, kid-sized popcorn deals at the movies, the sun just before it sets, Brooklyn brownstones with backyards, Tarheel basketball and, of course, BOOKS!

My current musical obsession is Bishop Allen, and this is my favorite song of theirs, right now:



(I'm also into Rihanna, Taylor Swift, the Beatles, Kanye West, Band of Horses and a bazillion more...).

As for the aforementioned books, well, we'll kick off that conversation this week. All books, all the time. And girls who rock, of course. Things to look forward to: more rgz TV videos; book reviews from awesome librarians, booksellers and authors; the Cover Stories behind your favorite books; incredible community service projects; breaking publishing news... and much more!

Feel free to leave any suggestions in the comments telling me what you'd like to see in this space, and let the blogging begin!

8 comments:

Little Willow said...

I love mix tapes too. Thus I recommend to you the book LINER NOTES by Emily Franklin, which you may have read, and the song MIXTAPE by Butch Walker, which you may have heard. ;-)

Melissa Walker said...

I just met Emily Franklin and thought she was lovely! Haven't read it; adding to list! Ditto the song. :)

Gerb said...

Hey, Melissa! Couldn't be a better person to kick off the new blog! Huzzah!

Jen Robinson said...

Oh, Melissa, we could have been friends. If it wasn't for the Tarheel basketball thing. Sigh! (OK, just kidding, but I did go to Duke).

Lorie Ann Grover said...

I love this music, Melissa!

And I love that you have joined the team. Thank you so much, and WELCOME!

Cindy Hudson said...

The new blog looks great readergirlz! I love the look, and welcome to Melissa. I look forward to reading what you have to say about books with strong girls. Cindy Hudson, MotherDaughterBookClub.com.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.