rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

7 Things You Don't Know About Sarah Mlynowski

Sarah Mlynowski has hung out with the readergirlz on more than one occasion. She participated in 31 Flavorites in October 2007 (and also dropped in to say hi to Lauren Myracle during Lauren's chat). She shared the story behind the cover of her book Gimme a Call with rgz diva Melissa Walker. Little Willow met her in person when E. Lockhart, Lauren Myracle, and Sarah Mlynowski were promoting their book How to Be Bad. (LW adds: That was an awesome day, y'all.)

Today, Sarah's new book DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT is available everywhere. Everywhere! In honor of the rgz anniversary and in honor of the book's release, here are 7 things you didn't know about Sarah Mlynowski... until now.

 
1. I bite my nails.
2. My little sister is a reality TV show producer.
3. The only sports team I was ever on was the newcomball team at sleepaway camp. What is newcomball? It’s like volleyball, except you catch the ball before throwing it over the net. I’m not sure it’s a real sport. Maybe I shouldn’t be too excited that I won the MIP (Most Improved Player) award in 1988.
4. Gordon Kormon spoke at my school when I was in third grade. (I know that makes him sound old, but he was only 15 at the time.)
5. After Gordon’s visit I decided to write my own book, Lizzie Forshort. It’s about a girl whose name is Elizabeth but is called Lizzie...for short! My mom typed up the manuscript for me and we sent it to Bantam Books. And that’s the story of very first rejection letter.
6. My husband proposed in Queenstown, New Zealand, in 2003. We’d started dating in1994 when we were seventeen. Took him long enough.
7. My five-year old daughter is a better cook than I am. Last week she made a purée and a meatloaf. Last week I made toast and a cup of coffee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite item on this list is #7. Hi to your adorable family! :)

Here's some more info on Newcomb ball:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcomb_ball

Melissa Walker said...

I love these!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.