rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Radcon 2010

You never know where you might end up during an author visit. Seriously. Dia Calhoun and I just returned from the Cavalcade of Authors in Pasco. But it was RADCON who helped fund the author extravaganza. Dia and I were immersed in the sci-fi con that is:

This guy guarded the entrance to our hotel wing.


I saw things I've never seen before. Sorry I was slow to pick up the camera. Not sure of the protocol in the moment, I now realize that most would have loved to have their photos taken. *sigh* Well, here's a bit of what I saw:

* Weapons for zombie defense
* Animal tails swinging on backsides
* A lot of tinfoil hats to ward off aliens
* A shop filled with wands
* Death
* A 300 lb man dressed as a baby doll
* A lot of steampunk
* Pirates
* Manga characters
* Klingons
* Captain Kirk
* Zombie boy

And that's just what comes to mind right now...


I LOVED IT! What a blast mixing with folks who are such avid fans. Wouldn't it be awesome to have a YA Con? Just imagine the guest list. In the meantime, I'll be thinking about returning next year. But what will I wear?


Any other sci-fi con lovers out there in rgz? What would you wear to a YA Con?

My website

7 comments:

Melissa Walker said...

I love these pics! Looks awesome.

JenFW said...

I want to see the 300lb man dressed as a baby doll!

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Yeah, I'm sorry I missed the photo moment, JenFW!

holly cupala said...

How fun! Lorie Ann next to an Andorian!

What to wear...hmm...one of my favorite exhibits ever at the Sci-Fi Museum in Seattle was a collection of costumes from a bunch of different sci-fi series - Babylon 5, Farscape, Star Trek...it was awesome.

Little Willow said...

Glad that you had fun! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.