rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Monday, February 8, 2010

Cover Stories: Heist Society by Ally Carter

Heist SOCIETY final.jpg
Ally Carter and I shared a cover model once! The model on the cover of Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy also posed as Violet on all three of my Violet covers! (Read that story here.)

This week her latest novel, Heist Society, is out, and it's got a fantastic cover, in my opinion. Here's Ally with the Cover Story:

"I am not an artist -- not even a little bit. Plus, my wonderful publisher, Disney-Hyperion, has always blessed me with such fabulous covers before that I didn’t spend a lot of time trying to come up with a specific concept. The only thing I felt certain of was that it should have a lush, rich feel and feature art in some way.

"When researching art and famous art heists I, of course, heard the story of the 1990 robbery of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston which many consider to be the largest single art theft in history.
17kennedy.xlarge1.jpg
Twelve paintings were taken in that heist, but Mrs. Gardner’s will indicated that the collection was to never change -- no paintings could be sold or added -- so the museum left the empty frames on the museum’s walls, waiting for the missing paintings to be returned. That image (right) was always very vivid in my mind, and I shared the story with my editor...

Read the rest of the Cover Story here.

5 comments:

Becker said...

Very cool--I can't wait to read the book! I went on a high school class trip to the GArdner Museum in Boston shortly before the robbery--I wish I'd known to pay closer attention :-).

奇怪 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lorie Ann Grover said...

Most fantastic cover, Melissa. I must get this! And yay to seeing the model again. :~)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.