rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Friday, February 12, 2010

February: Have you ever felt trapped?












In Copper Sun, Mrs. Derby is the lovely young wife of plantation owner Mr. Derby. She is not in love with him, and in a way, she's almost like a slave herself.

Have you ever felt trapped in a place or a situation that didn't fit you? How were you able to free yourself from it?




7 comments:

Melissa Walker said...

I've never felt as trapped as Mrs. Derby or the slaves on the Derby plantation. Today's society has more support for people who are "trapped," I think. That said, people who don't know about support systems, and whose own families are the ones who keep them "trapped," probably know this kind of pain.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Oh, this didn't get noticed, I think, before it scrolled down. Rats.

I had some measure of feeling trapped in ballet. In a smaller scale, whenever you are committed to something, and it's what everyone expects, and you want to change, the trapped feeling can envelope you, right?

JenFW said...

Do you think that feeling excluded is similar to feeling trapped? One one hand, they seem like opposites-- trapped IN vs. left OUT--but on another, they're both a case of not being allowed to be or do what we want to be or do.

Trapped...trapped outside of something I want to be in. Yep, I know that feeling.

Scarlet Bell said...

i feel mentally trapped a lot.

i feel that sometimes i can't express myself with things that i love and hate. i feel that my true self is trapped inside. it's like people won't accept the real me and are kind of forcing me to be someone i am totally not.

that's my kind of trapped that i feel.

Janet Lee Carey said...

I felt trapped in school sometimes, but nothing like what Mrs. Derby or the slaves in Copper Sun! To be honest these days I mostly trap myself -- overwork and don't let myself get outside.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.