rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Monday, February 22, 2010

February: Freedom














In Copper Sun, Amari has no freedom. What freedoms would you most miss if you were to lose yours?


8 comments:

Little Willow said...

The freedom of choice, of movement, of sound, of thought, of everything.

Sharon M. Draper said...

The freedom to write. The freedom to dream. My grandmother was a writer at age 14. She had to write outside at night under the moonlight because nobody understood her deep desire to write. She wrote in a school notebook in pencil. I have her journal. One day I will write her story.
She had to write in secret!! And what she wrote was beautiful!

Dia Calhoun said...

I can't imagine living in a country where my destiny is determined by others. I believe China is this way.

Melissa Walker said...

Sharon, I love that you have that journal and that your grandmother's stories will live through you!

I think you've hit the nail on the head, too: Freedom of the mind, the freedom to dream, is so key.

JenFW said...

Little Willow's freedom of choice answer resonates with me.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Definitely freedom of religion.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.