rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Friday, December 9, 2011

Poetry Friday: Christmas Troll, Gift Tag



Hey rgz!


Did you see the holiday e-poetry collection, Gift Tag? It was compiled by Sylvia Vardell and Janet Wong. I'm so happy to be in this work with other poets who write for children and young adults. Each entry was motivated by an image. You might click and purchase the book for yourself and gift it to others for just $2.99. It's spot on for little ones and older readers. Gift Tag is full of holiday memories, thoughts, and wishes you'll want to read again and again. You will love it! As a teaser, here's my entry. Happy Poetry Friday!


Tucked Between Branches
A green puff swirls
Like angel hair
Golden eyes wink
Beside warm white lights
A round belly bulges
Like a plump ornament
My Christmas tree troll
Curls a smile
And reaches out to me

Lorie Ann Grover, 2011
LorieAnncard2010small.jpg image by readergirlz

compiled by Sylvia Vardell and Janet Wong
poetrytagtime.com

4 comments:

Robyn Hood Black said...

Thanks for sharing, Lorie Ann - I smiled when I read your troll poem for the first time after downloading this new great collection! Holiday cheers with wild hair...

The Mom Quiz said...

If I worked for the Troll company, I would send you a huge box of Trolls and beg you to let us use your poem in our Christmas ad. Such a wonderful poem, Lorie Ann...and makes me wish I had never given up the trolls from my childhood!

Little Willow said...

Go Lorie Ann!

Sylvia Vardell said...

There's something so satisfying about holding those hard plastic troll dolls that were half hair-- and you have captured that impish quality perfectly! Thanks so much for your terrific "Kindleku" poem and for all your support of our holiday poetry project!