rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Cover Stories: Between by Jessica Warman

Jessica Warman has some amazing covers, and her latest is no exception. Check out the Cover Story:

"It’s funny – I’m the most non-visual person I’ve ever met.  Truly.  My mom is an amazing realist painter, and while I can appreciate the beauty of her work, I just don’t find the visual arts nearly as engaging as I assume most people do. Same thing goes for great scenery, great decoration – anything visual.  I see images of the Grand Canyon and am like, 'Yes, it’s beautiful, but…  once I’ve seen it, I’ve seen it.' I can remember going to Niagara Falls as a kid and thinking, 'Okay, here we are, I’m looking at the waterfall… what now?' It’s very odd – at least I’m told that it’s odd by my friends and family. My point being: I can never really visualize what I want for a cover, because my mind sort of doesn’t work that way. I tend to think exclusively in a narrative. Weird, I know.

"My publisher didn’t ask for my input at first, but I was shown an early version of the cover VERY early on, and I absolutely loved it. I felt like it perfectly captured the tone and content of the book. I made it my background on my computer, and I’d look at it multiple times a day… which is saying a LOT, considering the fact that I’m pretty deficient when it comes to my appreciation of the visual arts!

"There was also the first version of the Egmont cover for the UK edition of the book (right) with the woman underwater with her hair and dress sort of suspended all around her. I tend to really trust people who do things professionally that I know nothing about – for instance, people who design book covers and know what sells – but I was a bit startled the first time I saw this version. For some reason it felt very 1970s to me, and I’m not exactly sure why..."

Read the rest of Jessica's Cover Story at melissacwalker.com.


2 comments:

LoriStrongin said...

Very nice covers, indeed! I sometimes hear horror stories about cover artists clearly not bothering to read the author's cover req form and thus produce something that doesn't represent the novel at all. Ex: a friend of mine recently pulled a book from a publisher who insisted on a cover depicting what looked like a Russian refugee. The problem: the book was about a war in space. No Russian refugees in sight. :S


Smiles!
Lori

Luzia Narvz said...

Between reminded me a lot of the Christopher Pike books I devoured when I was a teen. Words really can't say how much I loved this book. The end had me wishing that this was one book that wasn't a stand alone book. I can not wait to read more by Jessica Warman.

Luzia
KRW Company Car Accident Lawyers