rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cover Stories: The Mermaid's Mirror by L.K. Madigan

mirror.jpg
When I saw the cover for L.K. Madigan's October release, The Mermaid's Mirror, I had to find out how such a windswept, atmospheric image came about.

Here's L.K. to tell the tale:

"Sadly, I have no eye for design. I can envision scene after scene in my mind as I write them ... but I can't
come up with an iconic image to represent the book.

"Since the book is about a girl surfer who finds a mermaid, I thought the cover might show ... um, a girl surfer... or a mermaid.

girl_surfer_on_the_beach.jpg
mermaid.jpg

MermaidsMirrorOLD.jpg
"Which is why I'm a writer, not a designer. The first cover design my publisher sent me was very pretty (right). I loved the girl's hair, and the water droplets effect, but the blue graphic
didn't really convey anything about the story. Only the word 'mermaid' in the title hinted that it might be a fantasy. My agent and I talked about it, and decided to ask the art director to consider incorporating the ocean into the design..."

Read the rest of L.K.'s Cover Story at melissacwalker.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.