rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Thursday, July 30, 2009

July: How do you extend a hand?



The Janes invite James into their misfit group because he is alone. How do you extend a welcome hand to people who are left out or different than you?

8 comments:

Lorie Ann Grover said...

I start with a smile and a question. But it's hard for me, usually. *sigh*

ND Hansen-Hill said...

I always figure there's a lot of truth to that, "there, but for the grace of God, go I" saying. That other person IS you, save for an accident of Fate. Be blind to differences, and generous with your smiles.

*G*

Melissa Walker said...

It's hard for me too! I think it's good to remember that it's kinda hard for most people, but also remember how you feel when someone extends a smile to you. It's a good nervousness to push through.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

And how nice when the smile is returned, right?

So true, ND.

Welcome back, MELISSA!!!!

cecil castellucci said...

I try to think of it as a table of life. I don't like tables where there are no more chairs. At my table, everyone can squash in. There is always room. I try to make sure that everyone always feel welcome.

Little Willow said...

I introduce myself and smile. If a person looks as though he or she might need help, be it crossing the street or picking up a heavy box/bag or so on or needing directions, I'll offer my assistance. It's different when that burden is heavy and emotional, because you can't literally move it off from that person's shoulders, but you can listen, because even just quietly listening can be a help.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.