rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Shoplifted Reads



I just read a great essay by Margo Rabb in the New York Times. Check this quote:

Only 40 percent of books that are read are paid for, and only 28 percent are purchased new, said Peter Hildick-Smith of the Codex Group, a consultant to the publishing industry. The rest are shared, borrowed, given away — or stolen.

The article points out that the thieves are most often males, and the number one stolen book is the Bible. Unbelievable. Staff recommends even lead to higher thefts! Read the whole article here.

Brava, Margo, for uncovering what's going on! And everyone, let's give a book this holiday. Purchased, of course!

My website

5 comments:

MissA said...

Wow. First of all, why would you steal the BIBLE?! Secondly, those statistics are bit shocking. I thought the number of books purchased would be much higher, but I guess (especially with the currently awful economy) books are a luxury, people can't afford to buy right now.
I'm asking for/giving books and book giftcards!

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Yay, Miss Attitude!

Melissa Walker said...

This is really shocking!

A book is one absolutely THE most affordable ways to give someone a whole world of adventure. Here's to books as gifts all year round!

H. Javed said...

Aww now I feel guilty, I haven't actually bought a brand new book in, well since September. It doesn't help that the time to read is getting less and less because of school and all, but its just an excuse.
I did eye up a nice compilation of CS Lewis' books of Narnia, might just treat myself after January exams if I can afford it - I know it'll be well worth it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.