rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

November: Things to Know about Marlene Carvell

Marlene Carvell is spending the whole month with us at readergirlz, and here are a few things we know about her already (can't wait to find out more!)...

On the nightstand: Quicksilver (Book One of Neal Stephenson's Trilogy)

Place to write: At a computer in the study in my home in the town by the stream near the woods on a hill . . .

Cure for writer's block: While my husband often has to listen to me think out loud on long walks, real stumbling blocks have generally been hurdled over pizza and beer at a couple favorite locations.

Favorite outfit: My closets and dressers look like I have a split personality. Jeans and tank tops or sweatshirts for most days and a closet full of glittery dance dresses for those nights out at ballroom/Latin dance venues.

Stilettos or Uggs? Neither. Sneakers and sandals, plus low-heeled, sequined pumps to go with those glittery dance dresses.

Next up: Two novels are currently in the hands of my agent and/or my publisher, one where the protagonist is the older brother of the two girls in Sweetgrass Basket, and the other where a teenage girl who lives in a foster home thinks she hates everybody and everything.

Well! Glittery dresses and jeans, long walks and pizza and a stream near the woods... sounds like our kind of writer. Thanks for joining us this month, Marlene!


9 comments:

Little Willow said...

I like the picture you've painted of your closet! I think Beth Kephart would as well. :)

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Good point, LW! Yay for dance dresses and shoes. *ding*

Melissa Walker said...

Yes, I immediately though of Beth, too! Marlene and Beth should go dancing!

Also, I love the sound of Marlene's writing space... lovely, lovely.

Unknown said...

My husband is a great dancer and looks wonderful in a tux. Argentine tango and quickstep rank among our favorites dances.

Yes, Melissa, I do live in a lovely part of the country . . . upstate New York (closer to Canada than NYC).

Alex said...

I love your taste in shoes! And your dancing dresses sound gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Alex. You can't have too many dance dresses. And even though I mentioned ballroom dancing, my husband and I love to dance to the music of young people today. Did you know you can samba to a rap?

Silence is Golden, But Ducktape is Silver said...

Whoot! Whoot! To the sneakers... there is nothing like a pair of amazing sneakers.

Tis all i have to say.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.