rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

November: postergirlz recommended reads

Catch these recommended reads for November from our postergirlz. Thanks, ladies!

Celebrate Native American Heritage Month!


Fiction
Moccasin Thunder: American Indian Stories for Today, an anthology edited by Lori Marie Carlson
Rain is Not My Indian Name by Cynthia Leitich Smith
Who Will Tell My Brother? by Marlene Carvell
The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Non-Fiction
Native Time: A Historical Time Line of Native America by Lee Francis

My website

5 comments:

Unknown said...

For those of you who might read my first novel, Who Will Tell My Brother?, I thought I might share some personal info with you. It is based on the experiences of my two sons, particularly my younger son who sought to change the offensive Indian mascot of his high school. It won the International Reading Association Best Book Award for Immediate Fiction for 2003 and is currently being taught in many middle/high schools across the country. The situation on which it was based truly changed my son's life as he completed his undergraduate degree in Native American Studies at Dartmouth and then received his law degree at the University of Arizona where he focused on constitutional/tribal law.

Little Willow said...

Who Will Tell My Brother? was very powerful. The title comes from the scene that broke my heart. (I don't want to "spoil" it for anyone who has yet to read it, but those who _have_ read it will know exactly what I mean.)

Best of luck to both of your sons.

I wish schools would remove offensive mascots. Sigh.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Very cool to hear this backstory, Marlene! I haven't yet read Who Will Tell My Brother?, but I'm looking forward to it even more.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.