rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Friday, November 27, 2009

November: Running away

http://www.vla.org/demo/Youth-Serv/cyart/jefferson_cup/images/2006%20Sweetgrass%20basket.jpg

Mattie runs away from the boarding school. Have you ever felt like running away?

7 comments:

Silence is Golden, But Ducktape is Silver said...

ALL the TIME.

I used to think it would solve anything, but it doesn;t because eventually you still have to go back and face it.

Unknown said...

My childhood was pretty stress free (relatively speaking as no childhood is really stress free) so running away generally meant I was feeling sorry for myself over something and took off to the woods. Of course, no one ever missed me and by suppertime I was probably sitting at the table with everyone else.

As a mother, I used to tell my sons that if they wanted to run away they had to take me with them. However, on a couple occasions I do remember offering to pack a lunch for them, willing to let them fend for themselves.

I have known some truly serious runaway situations, however, and my heart goes out to people who feel there is no other way to cope with their problems.

Melissa Walker said...

It really never crossed my mind. My older brothers ran away fairly often and it always made my heart ache so much that I couldn't imagine doing it myself.

Shelf Elf said...

Um... yeah. Like right now. I want to run away from the Math tests I need to mark.

;)

I've never REALLY wanted to run away. As I kid, home was my happiest place in the world.

Little Willow said...

No, never.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.