rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Friday, August 21, 2009

Cover Stories: Something Maybe by Elizabeth Scott

somethingmaybefinalcovertoMelissa.jpg Elizabeth Scott is one of my favorite people, and she is a master of teen romance! Something, Maybe does not disappoint--you will love the chemistry in this book.

Here's Elizabeth with her Cover Story:

"I really didn't have an idea for the cover--the original title for the book was LIVE! NUDE! MOM. [Elizabeth explains the title change here]--and I just knew I wanted something that played on the surprise and energy of the title. What it would be, I had no idea!

"My editor and I did talk about it, and we agreed that we wanted to go for something that had a similar feel to BLOOM and PERFECT YOU since both of those are romances as well. And since both of those covers have a very specific look, we needed something like that.

"So my editor sent me a bunch of pictures--and we picked one--and luckily, it still worked when the title was changed to SOMETHING, MAYBE.

"The image was a stock photo that Lisa Fyfe, who is a fabulous designer, played around with to capture the feel of the book (and to make sure Hannah's hair was blond on the cover since it is in the story!)

"The moment I saw it in the packet of photos I was sent, I knew it was the right one. And it stayed the right one even with the title change, which means it really captured the book!

smcover2.jpg "My editor is fabulous about cover design, and she always asks for my thoughts. In the end, the big change that was made was taking the cover from white to blue, which really made it more eye-catching. And as I said, Lisa changed Hannah's hair color so it matched her hair color in the book, and played around with the bracelets on her wrist so they were more noticeable. It's strange, but subtle changes can really make a cover pop! And, of course, the cover itself went from being white to blue--which maybe doesn't seem that big, but it really made a difference!

"I love the cover! I think it captures the spirit of the book really well. And here are all the pictures I was sent back when we were first looking for covers--and you'll see this was back before the title was changed!"

smcover1.jpg smcover3.jpg smcover4.jpg smcover5.jpg smcover6.jpg smcover7.jpg smcover8.jpg smcover9.jpg

How fun is it to see all of those covers!? Thanks to Elizabeth and Simon Pulse for sharing them. I think they made the right choice. How about you guys?

7 comments:

Yan said...

I do love that they changed it from white to blue. I agree that that one change made a huge difference!

Windy said...

Always fun to hear how a cover came about and to hear there are some publishers / editors who take into account an author's thoughts.

And the book was great!

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Love it! And I enjoyed hearing Elizabeth's voice, Melissa. Thanks!

Little Willow said...

Love the changes. Love all of the pictures on the mock-ups, and that they kept the same basic concept for blocking of the title and Elizabeth's name throughout.

Little Willow said...

What I neglected to say, what I intended for my very first sentence to be:

Love these books.

Truly, utterly. Go Elizabeth.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.