rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Friday, August 28, 2009

August: NYC's South Bronx

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/27930000/27936344.JPG

So many people in the chat commented about Coe's books being set in the Bronx. Have you ever been? What city would end up almost being a character in your stories? Give a shout out here!

6 comments:

Lorie Ann Grover said...

I've only been to the Bronx through books and movies. I want to go!

LOOSE THREADS and HOLD ME TIGHT give a tribute to Miami, while ON POINTE is set in my current little town of Sumner, WA.

Finding the setting is a great part of writing!

Little Willow said...

Echoing Lorie Ann's statement: I've never been to the Bronx personally, but stories and cinema have 'let' me visit there!

Melissa Walker said...

I've been to the Bronx a few times, and the South Bronx seems just like a 90s movie to me. That was my impression. Colorful clothes, music in the streets, hoop earrings... total energy.

A Lil Sumpin' Sumpin' said...

I've worked in and around the South Bronx for 10 years and feel that Coe does an amazing job of capturing the truth of what a life lived there can be.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.