rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cover Stories: Sean Griswold's Head by Lindsey Leavitt

SeanGriswoldsHead RGB.jpg
Lindsey Leavitt is a member of The Contemps (along with me) and her new book, Sean Griswold's Head, is a super fun read. Hear more about what I thought at The Contemps blog.

For now, we're gonna talk covers! Here's Lindsey:

"It all started with a head.

"Sean Griswold's Head, to be exact. When I started writing this book, I knew I wanted the story to be about that boy--the one who is always there, the one you know nothing about, except maybe that he wears the same shirt every Thursday, or peed his pants two days in a row in second grade.
feed.jpg
So I always pictured Sean's head when I thought of the cover. Kind of like Feed by MT Anderson (right), but with hair.

"I shared this with my editor when we first broached cover design, and she said, great! But we do want to play up the romance angle, so we'll think about it. I never considered the romance to be the focus of the story, but I figured... cool. Give him a HOT head then. Hot heads sell.

Image 1 SGH.jpg
"But then I got an email that sales wasn't sure the title would work. We went back and forth for a few months, brainstorming titles. It's an aggravating process--there were some possibilities I liked, but nothing felt right. At one point, my publisher was leaning toward THE SEAN GRISWOLD PROJECT. Here is one cover comp that design came up with that my editor just now sent me (left). I'm glad we didn't use this. I can say that now, right?

"I trusted my publisher, but I was still feeling down about the title madness..."

Read the rest of Lindsey's Cover Story at melissacwalker.com.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.