rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The True Meaning of Cleavage: Friendships Betrayed

This month's theme is Loyalty, and our Featured title this week is The True Meaning of Cleavage by Mariah Fredericks. In Monday's post, Mariah shared the real story that the book is based on -- one where she and her best friend in high school parted ways, slowly losing each other as their social worlds separated.

Loyalty is a beautiful thing, but even in the truest of friendships, it is sometimes tested.

So how about you, readergirlz: Have you ever knowingly betrayed a friend? Or has a friend betrayed you? Were you (or s/he) ever able to forgive?

2 comments:

Lorie Ann Grover said...

I was betrayed once, at least from my point of view. I wonder if the other person ever realized I felt so. I imagine she might have rationalized her actions. Don't we usually?

Melissa Walker said...

I have betrayed, and then I felt betrayed in response. I'm not sure who won, if anyone. Actually, I just dreamt about that friend last night--maybe this discussion question prompted it. It was a bittersweet dream, as we don't speak (but we did in the dream!)

And as someone who has betrayed someone else, I did rationalize a bit, LA. But after a bit of time, I just felt sorry, and I wasn't sure whether I should bother the friend to tell her so. It felt like I'd be relieving myself and digging up pain for her, so I've stayed silent.