rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Broken Soup: Have you ever kept a family secret?

This week's featured title, Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine, shows main character Rowan taking care of her family after the death of her brother.

To "keep it all together," Rowan ends up keeping some family secrets--for better or worse.

Have you ever kept a family secret? Was it the right thing to do?

4 comments:

Micol Ostow said...

Fortunately, I've never been in anything like Rowan's situation! I actually spilled a family secret last week COMPLETELY by accident, but it was totally inconsequential.

Melissa Walker said...

I told a family secret when I was a teenager (some in the family knew, some didn't), and it was the RIGHT thing. I agonized over it, but it was one that needed to come out. I think we all healed better because of the openness. Phew.

Sage Ravenwood said...

I've kept one for 30 some odd years. In the end it was the right things to do. Sometimes the truth is sacrificed to protect those you care about.

I do know the longer a secret is kept, the harder it becomes to ever set it free. (Hugs)Indigo

Lorie Ann Grover said...

I have. :~( And am still bound to silence. But it's really no one else's business, and it hurts none, so I think it's okey dokey.