rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Cybils 2008 YA Finalists


"Cybils" is a loose acronym for Children's and YA Bloggers' Literary Awards. It was founded by two bloggers, Anne Levy and Kelly Herold. Anyone (yes, anyone!) may nominate books for The Cybils Awards. Learn more at http://www.cybils.com

I am proud to once again be a member of The Cybils Young Adult panel. This year, I'm one of the YA judges, along with Jackie from Interactive Reader (and a fellow member of postergirlz!), Sarah from Finding Wonderland and Readers' Rants, Lili from Inside a Dog, and Casey from Avid Teen Reader.

Many thanks to the hardworking YA nominating panel, who read over 100 nominated titles and narrowed the field down to seven. I've listed the finalists alphabetically by author's last name. Summaries are my own.

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway
Recommended in the October 2008 issue of readergirlz!
Behind the music: How life changes for a feisty teenage girl when her ex-boyfriend writes a chart-topping song about their breakup.
Read my book review.
Check out my interview with the author.

Ten Cents a Dance by Christine Fletcher
The story of a young taxi dancer in the 1940s.
I will be reading this book in the coming weeks.

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
E. Lockhart was one of three authors spotlighted at our Summer Sizzle chat in June 2008!
A clever teenage girl secretly leads and manipulates a boys-only secret society at her prep school.
Read my book review.
Check out my interview with the author.

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Five teenagers, brought together by tragedy, are later torn apart. Twenty-two years later, the fallout reaches a young woman who is struggling to put the pieces (of memory, of story, of life) together.
Book review to come.
(Note: In the author's native Australia, this book is called On the Jellicoe Road.)

Sweethearts by Sara Zarr
Recommended in the August 2008 issue of readergirlz!
The return of a childhood friend makes a teenaged girl re-examine something horrible that happened when they were kids.
Read my book review.
Check out my interview with the author.

I Know It's Over by C.K. Kelly Martin
After breaking up, a teenage couple must deal with an unplanned pregnancy.
I will be reading this book in the coming weeks.

Thaw by Monica M. Roe
A young man battles Guillain-Barre Syndrome.
I will be reading this book in the coming weeks.

The winners in all categories will be announced February 14th.

8 comments:

Mitzy said...

The only book on this list that I've read is "Audrey, Wait!" and I loved it! I'm definitely adding the other ones to my wish list =)

Little Willow said...

Audrey, Wait! was very good. :) I hope you'll like the other books.

Melissa Walker said...

So glad you posted this, LW! Great picks, all!

Michael Northrop said...

Two of these books are in my teetering to-read pile right now. Sitting over there, looking at me, and saying I told you so.

It's nice to see a boy-friendly book like Thaw on here, as well.

Lara said...

I had the pleasure of reading I KNOW IT'S OVER well before it's release date - it's one of my favorite blurbing opportunities to date - and I really loved the book. Very pleased by the Cybil finalists for this year!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.