rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Because I Am Furniture: Writing in Verse

Our Featured Title this week is Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas, and in her post, Thalia describes "the frustratingly beautiful ache" of the puzzle of putting words in verse, poetic vignettes, together to tell a story.

Have you ever tried to write in verse or gotten lost a book of poems? Why is the format appealing? What about it makes it such an attractive way to express emotions?


6 comments:

Melissa Walker said...

I would be so scared to try a novel in verse, but I used to write that way in my diary whenever I felt something really deeply. It's like expressing something in shorter bites is easier if it's a HUGE emotion. Freeing, somehow.

Liana said...

the last novel I read in verse was Tricks. I love that book. But I've never tried it really.

Melissa Walker said...

Love Ellen H, Liana! She's such a master.

Stasia said...

I write novels in verse. I love Thalia's comment about "piecing" them together. For me, it is important to feel that the verse form is especially appropriate to the story I am trying to tell, or the ideas I want to convey. I think Sharon Creech's HEARTBEAT is a great example of the verse novel form really enhancing the story.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

HEARTBEAT! I love that work!

The tight conciseness of verse carries emotion in a safe way for the reader. I think all the white space creates room to breathe.

For me, verse comes straight from my heart in that form.

Micol Ostow said...

I've always loved verse novels and (re)read a bunch of them when I was working on "family." I'm definitely nervous - hoping I've done "right" by the format. We'll see!