rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

rgz Newsflash: Ari's Rant to Bloomsbury

There's a hot article over at Reading in Color. Ari is airing her views to Bloomsbury. Take a peek here and then link over to her full work.

Bloomsbury Whitewashes A Cover, Yet Again

An Open Letter to Bloomsbury Kids USA. Other Publishing Houses Take Note

"To Whom it May Concern,

Hello. My name is Ari and here at my blog I review YA books about people of color. Right when I was starting up my blog, controversy over your US Liar cover broke out. Allow me to jog your memory, since you've made the exact same mistake. Liar is about Micah a "nappy-headed", tomboy, African American girl. Your original cover had a white girl on it. After many bloggers protested, including the author herself you changed the US cover to the image of an African American girl, she even looks bi-racial, like Micah. Now I don't want this to be a history lesson, but I ask you, why have you made the exact same mistake? I'm talking about Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore. The main character, Nimira is described as "dark-skinned." The model on the book is definitely not dark-skinned."

My website

7 comments:

MissA said...

Thank you for posting this :) I hope people see it and are inspired to email and blog about it.

Anonymous said...

Cheers to Ari and thanks for sharing. I just can't believe they did this yet again thinking no one would notice maybe?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lorie Ann Grover said...

Let's see what happens...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.