rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cover Stories: Zen and Xander Undone (redesign) by Amy Kathleen Ryan


Talking to Carolyn Mackler about her new paperback cover for Tangled got me thinking about paperback changes, and here's another one for you guys. Amy Kathleen Ryan's Zen and Zander Undone recently got a big cover change, so she's here to share that story:

"I didn't know about the change. It came as a complete surprise when I got my author's copies. They didn't even tell me they were considering a redesign. This is very different from how they usually do things. Before, they've always seemed to value my opinion. I think maybe they were in a real hurry with this one.

"I liked the new cover immediately. I liked the subtlety of it, though it no longer portrays the two sisters. The girl on the cover could be either of the sisters, so it's fine by me. A different department handles paperbacks. I imagine that my editor approved the cover, but I do not think she was at the center of the redesign.


"The hard cover (right) was from an original photo shoot [read that Cover Story], and I found it very flattering that my publisher would go to that expense and trouble for me. With the paperback, I would be surprised if they didn't use a stock photo, since they already spent so much money on a cover that didn't end up working well..."

Read the rest of Amy's Cover Story at melissacwalker.com.

PS-Alea has a great Hardcover vs. Paperback feature if you want to see more of these changed covers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.