rgz

readergirlz is a literacy and social media project for teens, awarded the National Book Foundation's Innovations in Reading Prize. The rgz blog serves as a depot for news and YA reviews from industry professionals and teens. As volunteers return full force to their own YA writing, the organization continues to hold one initiative a year to impact teen literacy. All are welcome to "like" us on Facebook!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cover Stories: Off Leash by Renee Pace

Renee Pace's Off Leash was a semi-finalist in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Contest, and she had control of the cover design, so she's here to talk about it:

"I knew I wanted a skinny teenage boy and a boxer dog for my cover. That was it. I also wanted it to have a nitty gritty feel. Those were my three outlines to my cover artist.

"When I saw the cover I was floored. She nailed it. I loved that the dog was looking back at the boy but the boy’s looking out at the reader.

"I didn’t want anything changed. It was like Angela Waters had read my mind and took the picture from my head to make my cover.

"We used stock photos only and I gather from my cover artists that securing teen photos is really hard..."

Read the rest of Renee's Cover Story at melissacwalker.com.

5 comments:

Renee Pace said...

Thanks so much Melissa for having me on the site. I just sent in my third book request to my cover artist so I'm very excited to see what she can come up with for Off Stroke.

LoriStrongin said...

I give major props to anyone who has an artistic eye trained enough to bring an entire book to life with a single image. Me, I have issues drawing stick figures. :S


Smiles!
Lori

PJ Sharon said...

I love this cover. After reading this book, I realized the cover was exactly right for the story. Nice job, Renee!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.